Department of Veterans Services | Request for Records

Records for Veterans and Family Members|Records for CVSOs - DPRIS|Helpful Links

Records for Veterans and Family Members

At our office we record discharge papers from the early to mid-1990's to current for those veterans that enlisted
from Ohio and requested a copy to go back to the state. We also record wartime bonus records prior to 1993.

Please fill out the request form and mail to:

Ohio Department of Veterans Services
77 South High Street
7th Floor
Columbus, Ohio 43215
Phone # 614-644-0898
Fax # 614-728-9498
877-OHIOVET  (877-644-6838)

If you have questions please call our records office at 877-OHIOVET.  The veteran MUST sign this form.

Records Request

Records for County Veterans Service Officers - DPRIS

DPRIS stands for Defense Personnel Records Information Retrieval System. It is an online gateway granting access (to authorized and approved users) to official military personnel records on demand and in near real-time through secure system-to-system interfaces. DPRIS enables users to retrieve document images from the Military Services' Official Military Personnel File (OMPF).

Click here to review our DPRIS system policy.

If you already have a DPRIS user account, click here to log in to the system.

Click here to see a detailed tutorial on how to use the DPRIS system.

In order to be authorized to access the DPRIS system, County Veterans Service Officers must do the following:

1) Download, complete, and sign the Agreement to Protect Confidential Personal Information form.
    Mail the completed form to the Ohio Department of Veterans Services (See address above)
    or scan the completed form and email it to ODVS at

2) Create a user account in DPRIS
    A) Go to the website
    B) Read the Privacy and Security Statement and then click the Accept button.
    C) Choose "User ID and Password" as the Login Method, and click the Continue button.
    D) On the following page, please enter ODVS_12212012 in the Agency ID field and click the Submit button.

3) Fill out the New User Registration Form completely.
    A) Once all PERSONAL INFORMATION has been entered, complete the AGENCY INFORMATION section.
    NOTE: The Agency ID Code field will be filled with the information entered on the previous screen.
    B) Click the "Select Manager" drop-down menu (found beneath the Agency ID Code field) and then
    choose "Tom Gase" from the Managers list.
    C) Once the form has been filled out completely, click the Submit button to submit the form.
    Once submitted, an email will be sent to ODVS and an ODVS employee will complete the account setup.
    D) An email indicating the account is ready to use will be sent to the CVSO who initiated account setup.
    NOTE: This process could take several days, depending on if all of the necessary paperwork was
    correctly submitted to ODVS or not.

4) Download and complete the Consent to Release or Obtain Information Form.
    After the form is completed by the CVSO, it must be signed by the veteran granting authorization.
    The signed form must then be retained in the veteran's file at the County Veterans Service Office.

5) Once the Consent Form has been completed, the CVSO will be given access to DPRIS.
    Go to the DPRIS website login page at to access as needed.

Helpful Links

County Veterans Service Officers

National Archives Office (also genealogy)

Ohio National Guard Library (also genealogy)
If you served in the Ohio National Guard, your discharge would be archived here rather than with the
Ohio Department of Veterans Services.

Call 614-336-7038.

Ohio Historical Society (also genealogy)