Military Records & Honors

Military Records
& Honors

Request Records from Our Office The Ohio Department of Veterans Services has discharge papers from the early 1800's through current for veterans who enlisted from Ohio and who requested a copy be sent back to the state. ODVS also has wartime bonus records prior to 1993 and records for the Ohio Veterans Bonus enacted in 2009.
A request form must be completed and sent to:
Ohio Department of Veterans Services
77 South High Street,
7th Floor
Columbus, Ohio 43215
The form may also be faxed to:
Download a request form
or call our office at
888-387-6446 to request a form be mailed to you.
The form MUST be signed by the veteran.
Request Records from the National Archives National Archives Office - St. Louis, MO
National Archives and Records Administration - College Parkway, MD
Other Resources for Military Records Ohio History Connection
If you served in the Ohio National Guard, your discharge would be archived at the Ohio National Guard Library,
not with ODVS.
Send an email to:

or call:
CVSOs and County Recorders Veterans can request military records at their
County Veterans
Service Office
Ohio County Recorders also maintain discharge records and usually offer duplication services. Veterans are encouraged to record their discharges (DD-214s) at their County Recorder’s office to create a duplicate certified copy.
Burial in a national cemetery is available to veterans of active federal military service, their spouses and dependent minor children at no cost to the family. For more, see the section on
Military Burials.