Web Content Viewer

Military Records & Honors

Military Records & Honors

Need a copy of your military records?

Request Records from Our Office

The Ohio Department of Veterans Services has discharge papers from the early 1800's through current for veterans who enlisted from Ohio and who requested a copy be sent back to the state. ODVS also has wartime bonus records prior to 1993 and records for the Ohio Veterans Bonus enacted in 2009.

A request form must be completed and sent to:
Ohio Dept. of Veterans Services
77 South High Street, 7th Floor
Columbus, Ohio 43215

The form may also be faxed to:
(614) 387-7317

Download a request form
or call our office at (888) 387-6446 in order to request that a form be mailed to you.
The request form MUST be signed by the veteran.

Request Records from the National Archives

National Archives - St. Louis
National Archives and Records Administration - College Parkway

Other Resources for Military Records

Ohio History Connection

If you served in the Ohio National Guard, your discharge would be archived at the Ohio National Guard Library, not with ODVS.
Send us an email or call us at (614) 336-7038.

CVSOs and County Recorders

Veterans can request military records at their County Veterans Service Office.

Ohio County Recorders also maintain discharge records and usually offer duplication services. Veterans are encouraged to record their discharges (DD-214s) at their County Recorder’s office to create a duplicate certified copy.

Seeking a new or replacement service medal or award?

National Archives military service records request (via web, mail or fax)

Want information on Veterans Hall of Fames in Ohio?

The Ohio Veterans Hall of Fame
The Ohio Military Hall of Fame

Looking for assistance with a veteran burial?

Burial in a national cemetery is available to veterans of active federal military service, their spouses and dependent minor children at no cost to the family. For more, see the section on Military Burials.