Web Content Viewer
Actions

Mary C. McHugh, SNDdeN

Hall of Fame Class of /Taxonomy/Topics/All Topics/Department Of Veterans Services/Hall of Fame/Honorees/2012

Mary C. McHugh, SNDdeN

Navy veteran Mary McHugh followed her faith in 1954, when she entered the order of the Sisters of Notre Dame. Sister Marguerite McHugh taught elementary school in Ohio, Illinois and Arizona. She later returned to Ohio permanently, where she worked for many years at Catholic Social Services and at the St. Vincent DePaul Society, focusing on assisting the poor. She also served veterans, holding the post of volunteer coordinator at the Veterans Administration Voluntary Services for the Ohio American Legion’s 4th District. Sister Marguerite has volunteered in excess of 10,000 hours at the Cincinnati VA Medical Center in a variety of programs. She has also served the greater Cincinnati community: she has tutored at the Hamilton County Justice Center to enable inmates to get their GEDs, worked on a suicide prevention hotline for 5 years and volunteered at Good Samaritan Hospital in the newborn nursery. Sister Marguerite was one of two people that revived American Legion Post 644, which was originally chartered in 1946 by women veterans, for women veterans. She has held several offices in the post. Due in large part to her personal efforts, Post 644 remains the only Legion post in Ohio dedicated to serving the needs of women veterans. Sister Marguerite has devoted her life to service, both to her community and to other veterans.