Eligible Veterans who need medical assistance and additional supervision, but can still live independently have the option of living in the Domiciliary Plus which is our Supervised Living area.
The Dom Plus offers 84 beds, having the same amenities and lifestyle as the Domiciliary with enhanced services to meet the needs of each Veteran. On the Domiciliary Plus Units we offer additional services such as Medication Education, Medication Management, 24-hour Nursing care and Nursing supervision. Prompting, cuing and reminders from the staff for hygiene, laundry, room cleanliness, etc. Also more intense case management services are provided as well as increased housekeeping services.Sandusky Home 3416 Columbus Avenue Sandusky, Ohio 44870
Services & Amenities
- Full dining available for three meals in addition to between-meal snacks
- 7 days a week activity program with frequent outings, including sporting events
- Housekeeping and laundry services available
- Scheduled transportation to medical appointments - community and Veterans Administration
- Private rooms
- On-site treasury
- On-site fitness center
- Walking paths
- Wi-Fi and cable
- Computer lab
- Greenhouse - traditional and raised bed gardens
- Outdoor recreation
Personal Care & Support
- Sick bay with physician and nursing services available
- Rehabilitation services (physical, occupational, speech therapy) onsite (additional cost)
- Social services for psychological comfort
- Medication management
- Dentist, podiatrist, optometrist, psychiatrist and psychologist onsite (services separately billed to insurance)
- Religious and spiritual care
- Resident therapy work program
- Local shuttle services
- Guest rooms
Sandusky also offers...
- Family rooms with state of the art televisions
- Military museum onsite
- Military burial and cemetery
- Wheelchair repair onsite at no additional cost to veteran
- On-site pharmacy
- Barber and beautician services onsite (separate cost to resident)
Andrea Klausing began her career at the Ohio Veterans Home located in Sandusky, Ohio in January of 1999. Her early role was in the position of Unit Social Worker in the Secrest and Giffin Nursing Homes. In July of 2004, she assumed the position of the Resident Services Director in the Domiciliary. While in this position she provided oversight and supervision to Social Workers, Activity Therapists, Chaplains, and Resident Workers engaged in the Incentive Work Therapy Program. In May of 2008, Andrea was awarded the position of the Domiciliary Administrator. Prior to working at the Ohio Veterans Homes - Sandusky Home, Andrea worked as a social worker for Children Services, and in a private nursing home. Andrea has worked in the field of social work since 1995.
Andrea Klausing, a graduate of Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio, earned a Bachelor of Science in Social Work. In addition she is a graduate of Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, where she earned a Master's Degree in Social Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. This focus led her to an internship with the Veterans Administration. Andrea is currently licensed as an Independent Social Worker with an endorsement in Supervision. She has worked in the field of long-term care for 16 years, 13 of which have been spent working with veterans. Andrea recently completed her Administrator in Training Program and will be sitting for her National and State Exams for her Nursing Home Administrator License. In addition to her college education, Andrea has attended numerous trainings in the areas of Veteran-Specific Care, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Mental Health, and Substance Abuse.
Andrea greatly enjoys the population in which she works as she is the daughter of a veteran who served in the United States Air Force for 24 years. Andrea is currently married and enjoys spending time with her three children. She enjoys coaching and volunteering in the community.