Web Content Viewer
Records Request
Records Request

Records for Veterans and Family Members

We record discharge papers from the early to mid-1990's to current for those veterans who enlisted from Ohio and requested a copy to go back to the state. We also record wartime bonus records prior to 1993.

Please fill out the request form and mail to:

Ohio Department of Veterans Services
77 South High Street, 7th Floor
Columbus, Ohio 43215
Phone # (614) 644-0898
Fax # (614) 387-7317
(877) OHIOVET | (877) 644-6838


If you have questions, please call our records office at (877) OHIOVET. The veteran MUST sign this form.

Records for County Veterans Service Officers - DPRIS

DPRIS stands for Defense Personnel Records Information Retrieval System. It is an online gateway granting access (to authorized and approved users) to official military personnel records on demand and in near real-time through secure system-to-system interfaces. DPRIS enables users to retrieve document images from the Military Services' Official Military Personnel File (OMPF).

To be authorized to access the DPRIS system, County Veterans Service Officers must do the following:

  1. Download, complete, and sign the Agreement to Protect Confidential Personal Information Form. Mail the completed form to the Ohio Department of Veterans Services (See address above) or scan the completed form and email it to ODVS.
  2. Create a user account in DPRIS.
    • Go to the website https://www.dpris.dod.mil. If you receive a security warning, click the "continue to this website" link.
    • Click the "Register Now" button at the bottom right-hand corner of the webpage.
    • Click the "Accept" button in response to the Privacy and Security statement.
    • Enter ODVS_12212012 in the Agency ID field and click the "Submit" button.
    • On the following webpage, fill out the new user registration form completely. Remember to select a manager—click the "Select Manager" drop-down button and select "Tom Gase."
    • Click "Submit" to submit the completed form. An email will be sent to the manager for final approval.
    • Once all submitted paperwork has been confirmed, your account will be approved.
    • NOTE: You will receive an email message confirming that your account is ready.
    • This could take a number of days after you request the account.
  3. Download and complete the Consent to Release or Obtain Information Form.
    After the form is completed by the CVSO, it must be signed by the veteran granting authorization. The signed form must then be retained in the veteran's file at the County Veterans Service Office.
  4. Once the Consent Form has been completed, the CVSO will be given access to DPRIS.
    Go to the DPRIS website login page at https://www.dpris.dod.mil to access as needed.

Helpful Links

County Veterans Service Officers

National Archives Office (also genealogy)

Ohio National Guard Library (also genealogy)
If you served in the Ohio National Guard, your discharge would be archived here rather than with the Ohio Department of Veterans Services. Call (614) 336-7038.

Ohio Historical Society (also genealogy)